Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Chuseok in Sokcho: Day 3 Oct. 1


Monday was a day left for exploring Sokcho. In the morning, we headed out and walked along the water. We passed three army men around our age riding these ridiculously small motor bikes. Ian asked them where they got the bikes, and they said we could rent them. After finding the rental place, we paid for an hour and as I was about to get on one of the bikes, the man said “No, no, no, too fast for woman!” He made Ian take the fast bike and gave me a slightly slower one. I was a little offended and wished I could say in Korean “Excuse me!?!? This guy over here has no driving experience!” Unfortunately, I had no means of translating that I was way more qualified to be driving the faster bike. Oh well….The next hour was spent riding these mini motor bikes along the pier of Sokcho. It was so much fun!

                Later we walked around the fresh fish markets. It was fascinating how every store in the market had large fish tanks with exotic looking fish and gigantic crabs out front. We walked up to a famous lighthouse that overlooked the city, sea and mountains. It was also interesting to note that I was able to read some of the signs in the city, as they are written in Russian. Sokcho has a large port that does a lot of trading with Russia and hence there is a strong Russian influence in the city.

No comments:

Post a Comment